Thursday, March 20, 2008

Happy Hampster in a Cage


So the fresh prep went well! I do have 3 picture, they'll be up in a bit. I'm working on a post, along the lines of "How to write a paper in One and a Half Days." All in all, it's been a fun week or so.

I handed in a 15 page paper, and got it back. A-. I felt pretty good about that, considering I was expecting a B- on it. It was alright content wise, but I was worried for my MLA citations and references. However, he's not the kind of prof who cares much about frills (he did his masters in Logic), and so he was more looking at what I was saying. He knew if I was telling the truth or not because he knew alot about the topic.

I just handed in another paper, 5 pages, to my linguistic teacher. She then told us that the person who had handed in their paper early handed in the "second worst paper" she has ever marked "in all ther 13 years of teaching." Ouch. Way to put a hole in the pit of 30 people's stomachs, all at once. I wrote that paper in a day, so we'll see how it does.

Other than that, the worst of academia is over for the semester, disregarding finals. One lab test, 20%, and one power point presentation, 10 minutes, 5 or 7 %, something like that. Then finals.

For those who don't know, my summer is going to be taken up by school as well. I'm taking Biochemistry 300A from May until August. I'm also studying for the MCAT, which I will take in late August, by myself.

I could take the Kaplan course, here in Victoria, which preps you for the MCAT test. But I hear the results are similar whether you take the course or not, so long as you can keep yourself on track with your studying. I've bought a couple prep books and I'll work diligently through those. Then it's just one course in september in terms of prerequisites, and thats it. I'm set to apply for med school.

In the meantime I'm volunteering. I'm an on-call support worker for women who are victims of sexual assault. I teach human anatomy in a lab here on campus (that one is technically a work-study), and I volunteer at the foodbank on campus as well. Racking up hours. Serving my community. I do it because it's worthwhile work, and I do it because I need to be do more worthwhile work: becoming a doctor. Sometimes it just feels like one big push to the finish line. But I'm happy I'm doing it.

No comments: